40202 North Cave Creek Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85262
- About 40 miles northeast of Phoenix
- 2800 acres
- Max. Depth:
- 142 feet
- 1950 feet
- Year round
DescriptionHorseshoe Reservoir is one of the most remote lakes in the Phoenix area and features quieter recreation opportunites.
Horseshoe Reservoir is 5 miles long, with 27 miles of shoreline.
You will need to pay a fee of $6.00 per vehicle and $4.00 per watercraft, per day, to boat Horseshoe Reservoir. Contact Cave Creek Ranger Station for permit information.
Horseshoe Reservoir is completely closed to water skiing, parasailing and personal watercraft. Any part of the Verde River that is free-flowing is closed to all motorized use. On-lake events are not allowed.
A picnic area is available at Ocotillo Boating Site.
Please note that the direction of travel on the lake is counter-clockwise. Also, the reservoir can get very low, leaving the Ocotillo ramp inaccessible. Call Salt River Project at 602-236-5929 for lake-level information.
- Boat Ramp
- Picnic Areas
To reach the lake
- From Carefree
- Drive Cave Creek Road until you reach Bartlett Road.
- Take a right onto Bartlett Road and go 6 miles until you reach the junction with FR 205.
- Take a left onto FR 205 (which is unpaved). Continue for 11 miles until you reach the reservoir.
To reach Ocotillo Boating Site
- From Carefree
- Take Cave Creek Road for 7 miles.
- Take a left onto FR 205 and continue for 6 miles, until you reach the junction of FR 205 and FR 19.
- FR 205 will turn left and become unpaved. Follow it for 10 miles until you reach the site.