Fredonia, AZ 86022
- 15 miles west of Fredonia in Northern Arizona
- National Park
DescriptionPipe Spring National Monument, a little known part of the National Park System, is rich with American Indian, early explorer and Mormon pioneer history.
The water of Pipe Spring has made it possible for plants, animals, and people to live in this dry, desert region. Ancestral Puebloans and Kaibab Paiute Indians gathered grass seeds, hunted animals, and raised crops near the springs for at least 1,000 years. In the 1860s Mormon pioneers brought cattle to the area and by 1872 a fort was built over the main spring. The fort, called "Winsor Castle" after the first ranch manager, was built by the Mormon Church to be the headquarters of a large cattle ranching operation. This isolated outpost served as a way station for people traveling across the Arizona Strip. (The "Arizona Strip" is that part of Arizona separated from the rest of the state by the Grand Canyon.)
It also served as a refuge for polygamist wives during the 1880's and 1890's. Although their way of life was greatly impacted, the Paiute Indians continued to live in the area and by 1907 the Kaibab Paiute Indian Reservation was established, surrounding the privately owned Pipe Spring ranch. In 1923 the Pipe Spring ranch was purchased and set aside as a national monument.
Today a visitor center and museum (developed in partnership with the Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians), tours of Winsor Castle, summer "living history" demonstrations, an orchard and garden, horses, longhorns and chickens, and a half-mile trail offer a glimpse of American Indian and pioneer life in the Old West.
Sep. - May: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
To get there from Hwy 89 and 89A, turn onto Arizona State Route 389 in Fredonia, Arizona. Pipe Spring is 15 miles west of Fredonia.